Matt Berning is a senior linebacker for Central Michigan and is coming off a career-year when he ranked second on the team with 108 tackles and third with 8.5 tackles for loss. Berning was a part of a Chippewas defense that helped the program to a school-best fourth consecutive bowl appearance with a 44-41 2OT win over Troy in the GMAC Bowl. Last season Berning recorded 10 or more tackles in five games and was also credited with 11 tackles, two tackles for loss and one sack in the MAC Championship Game in a 20-10 win over Ohio on Dec. 4. Berning played high school football at Mexico (Missouri) High School as a foreign exchange student in 2003 and also played club level as a native of Dusseldorf, Germany. Below is a closer look at the Central Michigan LB...
1. What are your goals for this season? Win another Mid-American Conference Championship.
2. What do you still hope to accomplish in the future? Someday I want to have a family.
3. Why did you choose Central Michigan University? I chose Central Michigan because Central Michigan chose me.
4. What would your ideal job be? (Outside of playing sports professionally) The one with all the money and none of the work.
5. What is the most notable thing about your hometown? The Budesliga club MSV Duisburg, a German football (soccer) club nicknamed 'the Zebras' for their traditional striped jerseys.
6. The artist that takes up most of your iPod? Frank Sinatra.
7. When you were a little kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? A truck driver.
8. Which word or phrase do you overuse? I use the phrase 'you know' quite a lot, you know?
9. If you can have one animal be extinct, which would it be? I'll go with an insect--mosquitoes.
10. If you are on a road trip and stop at a gas station, what snack would you buy? Red Bull, Muscle Milk and Trail Mix.