By: Mr. Met (Staff writer for NFL Prozach)
· Tonight at 9 PM is Team USA’s first game in pool play or round 1 in this year’s World Baseball Classic as they will take on Team Mexico.
· To recap the first round here is what has happened so far, Pool A & B have been completed. As the four teams who have advanced Netherlands, Cuba, Japan, & Chinese Taipei have all moved on to round 2 in Tokyo, Japan which was underway this morning with the Netherlands defeating Cuba early this morning and Japan defeating Chinese Taipei in a thrilling extra innings game.
· The two losers Chinese Taipei and Cuba will now face off tomorrow in an elimination game as the winners will face off in a play in game for the finals for Pool A & B.
· On the other side of the bracket Pool C & D are just underway with the opening game for Pool C last night where the Dominican Republic defeated Team Venezuela 9-3 in San Juan Puerto Rico.
· Pool D’s opening game saw Team Italy defeat Team Mexico 6-5 yesterday in Phoenix, Arizona.
· Tonight Team USA will take on Team Mexico in Pool D play also Team Italy will take on Team Canada.
· Tonight in Pool C Team Spain will take on Team Puerto Rico.
Team USA Preview:
· Team USA will be managed this year by the legendary Joe Torre hopefully this gives them an added edge as this year’s team does not future many of the top American players.
· The team’s infield will consist of:
· The teams Catchers will consist of:
· The teams OF will consist of:
· The pitching Staff:
· I’ve heard some criticism of the lineup over the past few weeks that maybe this team doesn’t have enough left handed pop but I disagree with Hosmer in as an injury replacement at 1b and Mauer at Catcher and the switch hitters this lineup should be more than adequate and one of the best if not the best lineup in the tournament.
· The pitching staff is a major concern with no Verlander, Price, Strasburg, and many more this staff will have to be headed by last year’s NL CY young award winner RA Dickey and runner- up Gio Gonzalez. However, it should prove good enough to compete.
· My prediction is that Team USA will win Pool D.
Check back later for more on the WBC
My New York Mets Update
And before the game for my pregame notes
Follow me on Twitter @MrMetNFLPROZACH